Where can I find affordable, long-term rental housing?

How Can We Help?

Affordable housing serves all kinds of people. Different people have different housing needs. No matter their background, affordable housing is meant to support people and provide them with the ability to thrive. There are many different affordable housing programs in Calgary. This guide article focuses on long-term rental housing. Here are some other resources you can check out on affordable housing in Calgary:

Please note that this guide article will only cover a few programs in Calgary. For a full list, refer to the Affordable Housing Guide (pages 32-56).

Affordable Housing: Long-Term Rental Housing

Calgary Alpha House offers long-term rental housing for people who are experiencing addiction, chronic homelessness, and frequent interactions with emergency services.


To be eligible for the program you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • be experiencing chronic homelessness
  • have a history or identity of substance use 
  1. Get a housing assessment completed by the Encampment Team (403-805-7388) or at the SORCe.
  2. Once completed, you will be placed on the Coordinated Access and Assessment system list.

Calgary Housing Company (CHC) provides safe and affordable rental housing on behalf of the City of Calgary.


To apply, you must:

  • be a Canadian Citizen, Permanent Resident, or have Refugee Status
  • have a total household income that is below the limit for the unit you are applying for:

  • have less than $25,000 in household assets
  1. Confirm your eligibility.
  2. Complete the application form.
  3. Provide all required support documents.
  4. Submit your application in-person at one of the CHC offices:

The Calgary John Howard Society provides financial assistance with finding housing, case management, and support coaching.


For adult housing, you must be:

  • over the age of 18
  • experiencing interaction with the justice system
  • experiencing chronic homelessness

For youth housing, you must be:

  • between the ages of 15 and 24
  • experiencing homelessness 
  • at risk or involved in the criminal justice system 
  1. Call 211 to request a referral for housing support; OR
  2. Call or visit SORCe to talk to a housing strategist about eligibility.

Horizon Housing Society provides housing and support towards independent living.


This program is available to individuals and families who live:

  • with mental health challenges
  • with physical disabilities 
  • below the poverty line
  • as the working poor 
  1. You can only apply through a referral from a partner agency. A list can be found here.

CIES Guides are a volunteer-led project made possible through contributions from the community.

Thanks to Asantewa Nkuah for help with this guide. If you want to suggest a correction to this guide, or want to submit one of your own, please contact us.

Previous What is a Registered Savings Plan?
Next Where can I find home ownership programs?
Table of Contents
Translate »