How Can We Help?
Lawyers can be expensive. And while we all hope we’ll never need one (except to help with legal documents like your will or when purchasing a house), there may come a time in your life when you need to find affordable legal advice. Luckily, there are various organisations in Calgary that can provide this help, listed here:
Calgary Legal Guidance provides free legal assistance, information and advocacy to those who seek legal services and representation but are experiencing financial hardship.
The programs and services included are as follows:
- Legal Advice
- Legal Education
- Family Law Program
- Homeless Outreach Law Program
- ID Clinic Schedule
- Immigration Law Program
- Social Benefits Advocacy Program
- Elder Law Program
- Lawyer Referral Service
- Do Your Own Divorce
- Sahwoo Mohkaak Tsi Ma Taas
For more information, contact the office at (403) 234 9266.
Dial-a-Law is provided by Calgary Legal Guidance and provides information on a wide number of legal issues in the province of Alberta, which include:
– Business, Employment, Workers Compensation and Intellectual Property
– Consumer Protection, Debt, Small Claims and Personal Injury
– Criminal and Driving Offences
– Family Law, Wills and Estates and Dependent Adults
– Real Estate, Landlord and Tenant
– Where to find Legal Assistance
To listen by telephone to a pre-recorded Dial-A-Law topic, please call the Dial-A-Law Operator at the following numbers:
(403) 234-9022 : In Calgary 1-800-332-1091 : Toll free anywhere in Alberta
The Elizabeth Fry Society provides practical programs, basic necessities and connections to community resources. They assist marginalized populations including women, youth, immigrants, Indigenous peoples and those living in poverty. Their legal assistance comes in the form of their programs, including, but not limited to:
- The Immigrant Legal Advocacy Program
- The Court Program
Please contact (403) 294 0737 or 1 (877) 398 3656 (toll – free) for more information.
The Immigration Law Program is founded by the Alberta Law Foundation Legal Guidance and assists with various immigration matters (including making a claim for refugee protection; permanent residence (PR) applications; work permits, temporary resident visas and study permits applications; issues regarding family sponsorship and representation (specially considered cases)).
They also provide legal advice outreach clinics at the following locations. Please call the respective location to book an appointment:
- Family and Immigration Law (Calgary Immigrant Women’s Association – CIWA)
- Immigration Law (Centre for Newcomers)
- Immigration Law for permanent residents and Canadian citizens (Immigrant Service Calgary)
* To access support or information for the Immigration Law Program, please call (403) 716-6499.
LegalAid Alberta provides legal support and services to eligible Albertans, in areas including:
- Family Law and Child Welfare
- Emergency Protection Orders and Domestic Violence
- Adult Criminal Law
- Youth Criminal Law
- Immigration and Refugee Law
- Civil Law
- Service to the SikSika Nation
- Duty Counsel (Legal Assistance at Court)
For more information, call their toll free number : 1 866 845 3425, Mondays to Fridays (8.15 a.m. – 4.15 p.m.)
CIES Guides are a volunteer-led project made possible through contributions from the community.
Thanks to Elyza Noordeen for help with this guide. If you want to suggest a correction to this guide, or want to submit one of your own, please contact us.